It's even better for you and it's frickin' delicious. No, really. Check out this easy recipe.
Fancy Hotels and Cold Food
Do this: Book a weekend stay at a really nice hotel that offers a breakfast buffet. Take a close look at the cold selections and you may find something interesting, like... cold oatmeal?
Sounds weird, but that's exactly what I saw (and reluctantly tried) fifteen years ago. To my surprise, it was delicious and it's been a staple ever since. Now, the swanky hotel's version of this dish probably wasn't that physique-friendly. The recipe below is.
By the way, this process also turns oats into more of a resistant starch if you're into that.
High-Protein Cold Oatmeal
- Rolled oats (not instant)
- Metabolic Drive® Protein, any flavor
- Water or milk of choice (almond milk works great)
- Options: Fruit chunks, nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, dark chocolate chips
- Soak your oats in almond milk. Water works too in a pinch. Add just enough liquid to cover the oats. They'll absorb most of it and soften in 10-15 minutes. Yep, that's right, there's no need to cook rolled oats.
- Once your oats have absorbed all the liquid, add Metabolic Drive and stir. After this, the options are endless. Vanilla protein is great with fruit. Chocolate is awesome with nuts.
- Add your fruit, nuts, coconut, etc. and mix it all together and stick it in the freezer for about 30-60 minutes. You want the sides to be partially frozen and the middle to be creamy.
Some favorite additions:
- Vanilla protein powder, coconut flakes, crushed pineapple.
- Chocolate protein powder, slivered almonds, a teaspoon or two of pure unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 1 scoop banana protein, 1 scoop chocolate protein, frozen banana slices, macadamia nuts, tablespoon of defatted powdered peanut butter.
This is great for breakfast or dessert. Give it a shot, no 5-star hotel required.
Note: The calories and macros are going to change depending on how much you make and the options you choose. With some experimentation, you can turn this into a diet meal or make it into a tasty "weight gainer" if you're in a mass phase.