They're sweet. They're tart. They're full of protein. And they won't wreck your diet plan.
These muffins pack a whopping 17 grams of protein each. Not only can you fit them into your daily macros, you'll get a ton of benefits from them too. Feel free to skip ahead to the recipe... or check out what makes these muffins a nutritional powerhouse.
Lemon Peel Power
People only think about the juicy part of the lemon, but the peel contains a butt-load of nutrition. It has a ton of vitamin C and calcium, plus high levels of citrus bioflavonoids that can help battle oxidative stress. Lemon peels also reduce cholesterol levels, and their pectin content promotes fat loss.
A Blueberry Bonus
Wild blueberries have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, and they're considered an adaptogen. Research has even linked the consumption of wild blueberries to the prevention of various conditions, like hypertension.
- 1 Whole lemon peel (see note below)
- 1-1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Splenda (the kind made for baking that's equal to sugar, cup for cup)
- 1 Cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 Large egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Cups frozen wild blueberries
- 1 Cup vanilla Metabolic Drive® Protein
- 1/2 Cup organic lemon juice
Note: You'll need a lemon zester. If you don't have one, you can use what's called a "microplane" to zest the lemon peel. If you don't have one of those, just use the side of the cheese grater that has the smaller holes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray 16 muffin cups with cooking spray. Then set them in your baking tin and set aside.
- Get your lemon zest ready. Set a bowl down to collect the zest. Then use the lemon zester to scrape off the yellow part of the peel. If you're using a microplane or cheese grater, rub the lemon in one direction (against the sharp edges of the holes). You only want to collect the yellow part, so turn the lemon as you go, letting the zest fall into the bowl.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, Splenda, lemon zest, and Metabolic Drive protein.
- In a separate bowl combine unsweetened apple sauce, egg whites, vanilla extract, wild blueberries, and lemon juice.
- Combine both bowls and mix well.
- Scoop the batter evenly into your lined muffin tin. Filling the cups almost to the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes and eat.
Nutrition Info Per Muffin
- Calories: 144
- Protein: 17 grams
- Fats: 1.4 grams
- Carbs (net): 10 grams